JVR: Muscle pain, not heart attack-A A +A
Saturday, January 4, 2014
TALISAY City Mayor Johnny de los Reyes was confined in a hospital in Cebu City for three days because of muscle pain and for his annual medical check-up.
In an interview Saturday, De los Reyes clarified an earlier rumor that he had suffered a heart attack. He said he only had “ordinary muscle pain” and had undergone an executive check-up.
He checked out of the hospital yesterday. He was confined since Thursday after he arrived from his trip in Mindanao.
He said he has been complaining of muscle pain in the left side of his body even before his trip to Mindanao late last month, prompting him to have himself examined when he arrived in Cebu after New Year’s Day.
De los Reyes thanked his allies in the Talisay City Council for preventing Alayon-allied legislators from overriding his veto on a provision in the 2014 annual budget, while he was still in the hospital.
De los Reyes said that he has been getting updates on the city’s affairs, including the alleged plan of Alayon councilors to override his veto on a provision they added on the annual budget, even if he was in the hospital.
During a special session last Friday, Alayon councilors failed to get the needed two-third vote of the council to override the mayor’s veto.
De los Reyes agreed with the statement of Councilor Socrates Fernandez that he kept on changing his mind in providing a quota for Alayon-allied councilors to hire job-order employees.
He, however, pointed out that the reason why he keeps on “flip-flopping” because Fernandez and the Alayon councilors are reportedly not sincere in their promise to cooperate with his administration.
“Ang buang ra nga tawo ang dili muusab sa iyang huna-huna. Nganung dili man ko mag-usab-usab sa akong huna-huna nga mismo sila nagplano nga gub-on ang akong administrasyon (Only a crazy man will not change his mind. Why wouldn’t I change my mind if they continue plotting measures to destroy my administration),” De los Reyes said.
Fernandez earlier complained of the mayor’s constant changing of his mind to give the opposition councilors a quota to hire their job-order employees.
Fernandez, an ally of former congressman Eduardo Gullas of Cebu’s first district, said that they have been waiting for de los Reyes to finally give them the quota.
De los Reyes’ allied councilors, however, criticized Fernandez for issuing such statement as the former mayor also did not provide them a quota to hire casual employees, when they were still members of the opposition bloc during the previous administration.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 05, 2014.