Fewer bleachers for Sinulog 2014 grand parade-A A +A
Saturday, January 4, 2014
THE Sinulog route for this year’s Sinulog celebration will have fewer bleachers for the public who want to see the grand parade on Jan. 19.
This is because the Sinulog bleachers committee has decided to set up fewer bleachers along the carousel route, particularly in choke point areas, to ensure accessibility in times of emergencies.
These areas include Gen. Maxilom Ave. and Fuente Osmeña, said Councilor Dave Tumulak, a member of the bleachers committee, in an interview yesterday.
“The public’s safety is really our main concern,” said Tumulak.
Tumulak is also the presiding officer of the Cebu City Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (LDRRMC).
As in the previous years, the bleachers along the parade route, Tumulak said, will be provided for by the Cebu Contractors Association.
For business establishments who want to put up their own bleachers, the councilor said they will have to secure a permit from the City Government, particularly from the Office of the Mayor.
If given a permit, Tumulak said, the structural stability of their bleachers will be inspected by the City Traffic Operations Management, LDRRMC, the Department of Engineering and Public Works and the Office of the Building Official (OBO).
Bleachers that will be constructed without a permit will be demolished by OBO.
Tumulak said the bleachers will be set up by the contractor’s association one week before the Jan. 19 grand parade.
Sought for comment on the move to lessen the number of bleachers on the parade route, Mayor Michael Rama said he is not amenable to the idea.
“The more the bleachers the better,” said Rama.
He said there will be more people who can enjoy the grand parade if there are many bleachers.
Last year, the Cebu Contractors Association installed hundreds of bleachers along the carousel route. This accommodated an estimated 9,000 spectators.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 04, 2014.