Chevron eyes bigger market share with advanced petroleum products

-A A +A

Sunday, March 23, 2014

DESPITE still being third among the big three oil companies in the country in terms of market share, an official of Chevron Philippines Inc. said the company, which carries the brand name Caltex, will be working on closing the gap by introducing advanced petroleum products.

One of the products in the pipeline is the Techron Concentrated Package (TCP), which will be made available in the country by the third quarter of this year, said CPI product engineering specialist Jude C. Porras during an interview in Cebu last week.

Reports by the Department of Energy as of the first half of 2013 said Petron led in market share with 36.9 percent. It was followed by Shell at 24.7 percent and Chevron at the third with 8.4 percent. The figures were based on sales volume reported by the companies to DOE.


“We are doing things to improve our positioning. We are improving our R&D,” he said.

TCP is a fuel system cleaner that will help remove harmful engine deposits, according to Porras. It contains Caltex’s fuel additive Techron that cleans engines “to ensure a smoother ride, improved fuel economy, reliable performance and power.”

Techron is a fuel additive patented by Chevron. It was introduced in the Philippines in 2006 and is standard in Caltex fuels Silver and Gold.

DOE estimates 150 independent players in the country. Petron, Shell and Chevron cover a 70 percent share while the rest are fighting for the remaining 30 percent.

“We recognize that they’re (independent players) growing. Ang panglaban nila is pricing but we are on the quality,” Porras said.

He said prices of independent players are lower than that of Caltex at roughly P1.50 to P2 per liter, depending on the location.

Chevron conducted tests both in the US and in the Philippines to check engines of selected motorists. It found out that those engines that used “low quality” fuels had a build-up of unburned and harmful deposits while those that regularly used Caltex with Techron are “kept clean and operating at optimum levels.”

Porras advised motorists who do not know the condition of their engines to use TCP. It is priced at roughly P1,000 per TCP bottle. For every cycle, motorists are advised to feed their engines with three bottles of TCP.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 24, 2014.


DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
  • Festivals
  • Obituary
  • Sinulog
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Papal Visit
  • Pacman blog
  • Philippine Polls
  • Calamity Report
  • ePaper
  • goodearth
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Technology
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Pnoy
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Habemus Papam