PB asks gov’t to study visa-free policy-A A +A
Monday, February 17, 2014
THE Cebu Provincial Board asked government agencies to conduct a feasibility study on adopting a “visa-free entry” policy for foreign investors in order to boost the Cebu economy after the devastation by Super typhoon Yolanda.
The Cebu Provincial Board, in a resolution they passed last month, requested the Department of Tourism (DOT) and Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) to study the “no-visa policy” in coordination with the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).
Provincial Board Member Thadeo Ouano, author of the resolution, said that investments, especially from foreign nationals, will help local government units affected by the super typhoon.
The Cebu Provincial Government needs P26.844 billion for the rehabilitation and reconstruction program.
Ouano pointed out that waiving the visa requirement will attract foreign investors to visit and invest in the province.
“Tourists are still attracted to visit the tourism sites of these affected LGUs and more will come to these sites if given the necessary incentives and suitable infrastructures to make their stay more comfortable and convenient,” the resolution said.
Ouano identified Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore as countries that adopted a no-visa policy.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on February 18, 2014.