Malaysia palm oil doing well in Cebu market

-A A +A

Monday, September 30, 2013

A MALAYSIAN palm oil distributor in the Philippines has reported a good response from the Cebu market since their product was first introduced in the country in February.

Intisari Mulia International (IMI) managing director Marin Francisco Escudero said in an interview last week that in its six months in the local market, IMI has already distributed its products to 2,500 retailers in Cebu.

IMI is the distributor of Saji Products in the Philippines, as appointed by the Delima Oil Products of Malaysia. Saji is a Malaysian brand known for producing consumer products, especially cooking oil.


Cebu is the only area in the Philippines where Saji cooking oil is available. Escudero said Saji will be made available in other parts of Visayas, Luzon and Mindanao before the end of the year.

In the past months, Escudero pointed out that Cebu retailers have exhibited a “repeat purchase” behavior of Saji cooking oil, with industrial accounts like hotels and food chains also doing the same.

The good quality of palm oil compared to other edible oil in terms of not having aftertaste in frying seemed to be what the consumers like, said Escudero.

Escudero said the health benefits of palm oil are what also make it more appealing to consumers since it is considered cholesterol-free.

Palm oil comes from the reddish pulp of oil palms. It is said to contain “a balanced proportion of unsaturated and saturated fatty acids.”

Escudero said Philippines import 85 percent of its total palm oil requirement from countries like Indonesia and Malaysia. The remaining 15 percent is locally produced in palm oil plantations in Bohol and some areas in Mindanao.

The Philippine Palm Oil Development Council in its website stated that in 2012 the country imported P27.50 billion of palm oil from Malaysia.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 01, 2013.


DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
  • Sinulog
  • Philippine Polls
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Papal Visit
  • Pacman blog
  • Technology
  • Festivals
  • goodearth
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Pnoy
  • Calamity Report
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • ePaper
  • Habemus Papam
  • Obituary