Arrest of cops for mulcting part of 'cleansing process'-A A +A
Friday, March 21, 2014
CAGAYAN DE ORO City Police Office (Cocpo) chief Senior Superintendent Graciano Mijares has assured that they are not “sitting down” on the charges filed against two Cocpo police, one of them a ranking official, for direct bribery.
Mijares made the assurance to the City Council’s committee on police, fire and public safety, chaired by City Councilor Ramon Tabor, in a committee meeting at the session hall Thursday morning.
Mijares said the ongoing investigation and the filing of charges against the two police officers are part of Cocpo’s “cleansing process” as those “who will be violating the law will be punished severely.”
He said that before Deloso and Galleto, there were already members of the Cocpo involved in illegal activities who were already charged, and in fact, Mijares added, “some of them are still in jail.”
Cocpo’s housekeeping initiative, he said, is being handled by a counter-intelligence team that focuses on catching wayward police officers.
Mijares admitted that the Deloso case has affected the city’s police force but he remains upbeat amid the controversy surrounding the arrest of one of Cocpo’s top officials.
“We can’t deny there is a setback,” Mijares told reporters Thursday, “But this is a challenge for everyone of us. This should not be a reason for our police officers to be demoralized but to motivate them more to do their best.”
“Tarong ang atong kapulisan. Although naay nisipyat, pero kadaghanan kanila mga tarong,” he said.
Mijares added: “I still believe nga wala nawala ang moralidad sa atong kapulisan. We only have to enhance it.”
“I can assure the people of Cagayan de Oro, our police officers are committed to duty, committed to law and order. Rest assured that our services will continue,” he furthered.
At present, Deloso and Galleto are assigned at the Cocpo administrative office at Barangay Carmen, with Galleto’s firearm already confiscated by Cocpo. Deloso is required to deposit his firearm since he did not carry his during the entrapment.
“They (Deloso and Galleto) are on floating position in the meantime pending the conduct of the investigation. They will be there for accounting purposes,” Mijares said.
He said Cocpo has not yet chosen a replacement for Deloso’s position as the traffic unit chief as it has to go through a process.
“So far, wala pa, though we’re looking for replacement. Cagayan de Oro is a big city and a big component of it is the traffic. That is why it is needed that we will assign a senior officer to the job,” Mijares said.
Arrest instead of protection
Meanwhile, Tabor appreciated the way the Cocpo leadership coordinated with the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to ensure the arrest of Deloso instead of protecting him.
“Kay kung ila pang gitago-tagoan ‘ni, dili unta madakpan si Deloso. Ila untang gi-pindotan kung ila pang gi-protektahan,” Tabor said.
Tabor said he is grateful of the outcome of the entrapment as it will serve as a warning to other police officers who are committing or about to commit an illegal act.
In spite of what happened, Tabor said he has not lost his faith in the city police force.
“I’m happy that Mijares assured us that the discipline in Cocpo has not deteriorated. I’m happy to note that they have coordinated with the NBI. They have done their part,” he said.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on March 21, 2014.