Telco files raps vs cable wire thieves-A A +A
Thursday, February 13, 2014
CHARGES have been filed against the suspects of pilfering the cable wires of Misamis Oriental Telephone System (Misortel) under the Marcos bridge at dawn Wednesday.
Rene Guingguing, Misortel’s assistant general manager, identified the suspects as Rene Nadela, 18, Arjie Ranoco, 17, and a “John Doe” who are all residents of barangay Consolacion.
The suspects are now facing a thief case after Misortel filed the case against them Wednesday afternoon.
Guingguing said his team caught the suspects in the act cutting the six-inch in diameter cable wire during their regular roving.
Nadela was arrested, while his two companions escaped.
Guinguing said they expected that the group of teenagers would strike again to finish what they started on Friday and Saturday. They carted more than a hundred-meter long cable wire during the weekend.
Guinguing said junkshops would buy the wires for P300 or higher per meter. They are now tracking the junkshops where the suspects brought the stolen cable wires since these establishments would face violations on the anti-fencing law.
He suspects that this is same group that stole cable wires last year.
Due to pilferage, Guingguing said, telephone lines in portions of Kauswagan, Carmen and Bonbon have been disrupted.
The disruption of services due to pilferage has negative impact on the subscribers especially the business establishments.
There about 6,600 subscribers served by Misortel in Cagayan de Oro and the towns of Misamis Oriental.
Guingguing suspected the stolen cable wires would also include other telephone companies in Cagayan de Oro.
He said Misortel crew has a hard time restoring the lines as these cable wires are not available locally, but have to be ordered in Manila.
Guingguing said with these incidents, the telephone company is appealing to the authorities to intensify their intelligence against groups who are engaged in pilferage of cable wires.
He even urged the public to help them secure the telephone lines, as Misortel crew cannot at all times monitor pilferage all the time.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on February 13, 2014.