1 dead in Rasuman’s house attack-A A +A
Friday, February 1, 2013
CAGAYAN DE ORO -- Armed men attacked Friday morning the residence of Jahcob “Coco” Rasuman in Marawi City, killing a member of the Philippine Army.
Information gathered by Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro showed that the incident happened at 11:30 a.m. at the house of Rasuman in Barangay Panggao Saduc.
The incident resulted in the death of Private First Class (Pfc) Oward John Abellana of the 65th Infantry Battalion.
One of the suspects was reportedly wounded in the incident.
Authorities recovered 15 empty shells of M16 at the crime scene.
Rasuman was in Cagayan de Oro City last Wednesday for the supposed arraignment of his case in connection with the syndicated estafa filed against him and 11 other members of his family who are still at large.
However, the arraignment was postponed due to some pending motions filed by Sultan Yahya “Jerry” M. Tomawis, Rasuman’s father-in-law, who is also one of the respondents.
City Prosecutor Fidel Macauyag said the incident might be the handiwork of the irate investors.
“That’s what we are trying to avoid. Victims should not take the law into their hands. We have legal process to take care of the problem,” Macauyag told Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro.
He said those who died in the incident had nothing to do with the problem.
"He was just a soldier," Macauyag said.
Since Rasuman was arrested last year in Marawi City, government troops were guarding his house to ward off possible irate investors who might want to barge in.
Rasuman is involved in a multi-million peso pyramiding scam mostly from investors in different areas of Mindanao. (Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro/Sunnex)
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on February 02, 2013.