Palace: Philippines remains Ebola-free-A A +A
Sunday, August 10, 2014
MANILA -- Malacañang dispelled on Sunday fears that the fatal ebola virus may have reached the Philippines.
Presidential Communication Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma, Jr. told reporters in a press briefing over dzRB Radyo ng Bayan that the country remains ebola-free.
“Ayon sa Department of Health (DOH), ang Pilipinas ay nananatiling ebola-free. Wala pang natutunton o naiulat na kaso ng ebola sa bansa,” Coloma said.
On Friday, DOH has cleared five out of 15 Filipino migrant workers who returned in the country from Sierra Leone last month, while two others are still being closely monitored.
Coloma added that the DOH is equipped to handle the situation should there be a case of ebola reaching our shores.
“Tinitiyak po ng DOH sa pangunguna ni Kalihim (Enrique) Ona na may sapat na kakayahan at kahandaan ang pamahalaan na tumugon sa ebola virus o ebola epidemic dahil ito po ay idineklara na ng World Health Organization bilang isang panganib sa pandaigdigang kalusugan,” he said.
As for Filipino citizens still in the affected countries in West Africa, Coloma said the Department of Labor and Employment and the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration are monitoring the situation. (PNA/Sunnex)