Palace: No coup plot vs Aquino-A A +A
Wednesday, July 30, 2014
MALACANANG dismissed on Wednesday rumors of a coup plot against the government as it also rejected proposal to conduct loyalty check among the members of the military.
"There are no reports of restiveness among the rank and file of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP)," Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said in a press briefing.
He said the Palace is convinced that there is no reason for the military rank and file to join any destabilization plot.
"The reason for the lack of interest is primarily the reforms that the Aquino administration has already implemented with respect to the armed forces. We have provided mission essential equipment to the people on the ground. We have provided housing units. We have modernized the AFP," he said.
"These are the measures that we have implemented in order to strengthen our Armed Forces. And the rank and file realize and do recognize and appreciate the efforts of the Aquino administration in this respect," he added.
Senator Antonio Trillanes IV has said that retired generals affiliated with former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo are plotting a coup against President Benigno Aquino III.
"Senator Trillanes is free to express his opinion and we respect him for that. We respect his opinion," said Lacierda, noting that the senator spoke of retired generals.
"He did not speak of men and women in active service. We will let the retired generals speak for themselves, not for us. Suffice it to say that we, in the government, and especially the men and women in active service, are committed to the duly constituted authority. There is no question or issue as to any restiveness in the military," he added.
He further said that AFP Spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Ramon Zagala has issued a statement earlier that there is no truth to the coup rumors.
"Walang agam-agam sa loob ng military," Lacierda said.
Asked if there is a need to conduct a loyalty check among the military officials, he said, "No, because there is no issue."
The Aquino administration is currently rocked by controversies, such as the issue on Disbursement Acceleration Program, whose parts were declared as unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. (SDR/Sunnex)