CA affirms decision to keep Napoles in jail-A A +A
Monday, July 14, 2014
THE Court of Appeals (CA) has junked Janet Napoles' bid to reverse its decision not to nullify the serious illegal detention case filed against her by pork barrel scam whistleblower Benhur Luy.
In a two-page resolution dated July 8, the CA Former Special Third Division said Napoles' arguments in the motion for reconsideration were only rehashed.
"The issues raised in the instant motion have already been judiciously evaluated and passed upon in our decision. We, therefore, find no compelling reason to modify or reverse the same," the division said through Associate Justice Ramon Garcia.
Among others, the CA had said it found no basis to cancel the arrest order issued by the Makati City Regional Trial Court branch 150 since Napoles failed to attach in her petition the judge's finding of probable cause against her.
Napoles denied detaining Luy, claiming her estranged personal assistant went on a spiritual retreat in exchange for the non-filing of cases against him for allegedly stealing P300,000 and obtaining loans worth more than P5 million without her consent.
Luy was rescued by National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) agents in Napoles’ condominium unit in March 22 last year after three months in detention.
Currently detained at the Fort Sto. Domingo in Sta. Rosa, Laguna, Napoles is also facing plunder and graft cases before the Sandiganbayan for allegedly masterminding the scam of funneling multi-billion peso Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) to her fake non-government organizations (NGOs).
Her co-accused include Senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Jose "Jinggoy" Estrada and Ramon "Bong" Revilla Jr., who allegedly pocketed millions of pesos from their PDAF allocations that went to dubious projects of Napoles’ foundations. (Sunnex)