Koreans top list of foreign enrollees in PH universities

-A A +A

Thursday, May 29, 2014

SOUTH Koreans topped the list of foreign students admitted to Philippine colleges and universities, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) reported Thursday.

Some 1,530 South Korean students are currently enrolled in various universities and colleges all over the country, said BI spokesperson Lawyer Elaine Tan. They were given student visa to pursue higher education in the country as of Monday, May 26.

Rounding out the top five foreign student enrollees are Indians (1,069 students) Iranians (1,032), Chinese (1,000), and Nepalese (561).

Majority of them are studying in universities and colleges in Metro Manila namely: Centro Escolar University, Adventist University of the Philippines, University of the East, Far Eastern University, Manila Central University, University of Santo Tomas, Jose Rizal University and De La Salle University.

While those who are studying in provinces particularly in Visayas and Mindanao regions are enrolled in Southwestern University, University of Visayas and Davao Medical Foundation, among others.

Tan said they are expecting the number of alien students to increase this year after 5,719 visas were already issued to aliens. This is also due to the proficiency of Filipino teachers in English and the use of English as a medium of instruction in the country's schools.

With this, she said that the bureau has tightened the screening of student visa and special study permit (SSP) applications to avoid entry of foreigners who extend their stay using fake student visas.

On the other hand, Thelma Guiritan, BI student desk chief, noted that Koreans were also recorded as the number one foreigner nationals taking up college in the country from 2012 to last year.

She reminded foreigners who want to study in the Philippines to secure a student visa to enable them to temporarily stay in the country and take up a course higher than high school.

The BI official added aliens aged 18 years and above who arrived as tourists and are intending to study in a degree course here must apply for conversion of their status and secure the appropriate student visa from the bureau.

Guiritan said those who are below 18 years old who will study in the primary, secondary and tertiary levels or those about to take up special courses of less than a year must secure a SSP from the bureau.

Only schools accredited by the BI, Department of Education, Commission on Higher Education, Technical Education and Skills Development Authority, and Federation of Accrediting Agencies are authorized to accept foreign students. (FP/Sunnex)

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
  • Festivals
  • Obituary
  • Sinulog
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Papal Visit
  • Pacman blog
  • Philippine Polls
  • Calamity Report
  • ePaper
  • goodearth
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Technology
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Pnoy
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Habemus Papam