Bodies still being found almost 4 months after Yolanda-A A +A
Friday, February 28, 2014
TACLOBAN CITY -- The number of fatalities in the strongest typhoon to hit the Philippines last year has risen to 6,224 with more cadavers recovered in this city almost four months after Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan).
In an interview over ANC on Friday, February 28, Tacloban Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Officer Derrick Anido said that eight bodies were recovered in Barangay San Jose on Thursday, February 27, and they expect to find other cadavers under debris as retrieval operations continue.
"Habang nililinis yung debris, may lumalabas pang cadavers," he said in the interview aired over ANC.
He said the cadavers found Thursday were turned over to the National Bureau of Investigation for DNA testing. The bodies will be buried after the identification procedure, he added.
Anido said that as of Friday, about 2,637 bodies were found in Tacloban City alone.
He said more than 700 people remained missing in the city as of Friday, adding that they will pursue with the search and retrieval operations for the missing victims.
National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario said though that 1,039 people, not just in Tacloban City, remained missing as of Friday. The number of confirmed fatalities stands at 6,224.
Tacloban City has a population of more than 220,000 when Yolanda, considered as the strongest typhoon in the world in 2013, unleashed ferocious winds and triggered storm surges that wiped out houses, mostly in coastal areas in Leyte and other areas in central Philippines last November 8. (LMY/Sunnex)