Palace: No discussions on emergency powers-A A +A
Sunday, January 12, 2014
MANILA -- President Benigno Aquino III has no plan to ask Congress to grant him emergency powers to address the rising power rates, a Palace official said Sunday.
Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said the President's orders were still on finding concrete solutions to minimize the effects of the price hikes on people.
“Hindi pa po tinatalakay ng Pangulo ang bagay na 'yan sa mga miyembro ng Gabinete. Sa kasalukuyan, ang kautusan ng Pangulo ay hinggil sa patuloy na pag-aaral at paghahanap ng mga kongkretong paraan kung paano maiibsan o mababawasan ang pasanin ng mga mamamayan sanhi ng malaking pagtaas sa halaga ng kuryente noong nakaraang buwan na pansamantalang pinigil ng Korte Suprema,” Coloma said on state-run Radyo ng Bayan when asked on proposal of a lawmaker that Aquino be given emergency powers.
He said the Department of Energy had already met with representatives from power producers and power distributor Manila Electric Co. on the matter.
Coloma said it is important to hold meetings with such firms as they are engaged in businesses imbued with public interest.
“It is important for the players in the power industry to act in a manner consistent with the public welfare as their business is imbued with public interest,” he said.
In the meantime, Coloma said the government will continue to closely monitor developments on the issue to protect the people’s interests. (SDR/Sunnex)