One way scheme up in Kennon Road

-A A +A

Monday, March 30, 2015


TO LESSEN traffic congestion, Kennon Road will be open for one-way traffic only from April 1 to 3.

While trip from Manila was made faster because of the Tarlac-Pangasinan-La Union Expressway, going up to Baguio was made slower because of the different road construction done in the city.

Even Senator Francis Escuadero had to endure the monstrous traffic, which he described as worst than Manila's rush hour.

Advertisement

The senator was set to have a press conference at 1 p.m. Saturday before a personal affair he was to attend to, but he arrived around 2 p.m.

"Ma-traffic dito sa Baguio. On the way actually mas mabilis with TPLEX. Maraming construction projects on the way here pero pagdating sa Baguio para kang nasa Manila eh. Baka nga mas traffic pa dito kaysa sa Manila," he told media.

Recently, traffic congestion has already started due to the road rehabilitation in the different parts of the city particularly in the Central Business District as implemented by the Department of Public Works and Highways.

During the Holy Week, the city expects influx of tourists with their vehicles, which may cause heavy traffic again, like what happened December last year.

With this, the DPWH will be implementing the experimental one-way traffic flow at Kennon Road.

DPWH secretary directed DPWH-CAR through director Edilberto Carrabacan to study the strategy which was also suggested by city mayor Mauricio Domogan after the horrific December traffic scenario.

"Implementing one-way traffic at Kennon Road will prevent the re-occurence of severe vehicular congestion starting from the junction of Kennon Road and Manila North Road in Rosario, La Union experienced last December 2014 as travelers are expected to trek Baguio City for the summer break on Holy Week," Singson said in a statement.

Aside from traffic solution, the strategy is also seen to lessen the number of vehicular accidents in the 41-kilometer steep Kennon Road.

The DPWH-CAR is warning all motorists to observe the 10-ton limit at Kennon Road to ensure safety at the Camp 5 bridge.

Loaded trucks carrying vegetables or sand and gravel among others traveling from Baguio to La Union and vice versa will not be allowed at Kennon Road and are instead advised to take Marcos Highway.

Meanwhile, sand and gravel concessionaires whose aggregates come from Camp 6 will not be restricted as they will not pass the said bridge.

Only Kennon Road will have the one-way traffic scheme while Marcos Highway as well as Naguilian Road will remain two-way.

After the three-day one-way up, DPWH is yet to come up with a directive whether Kennon Road will go back to a two-way traffic or still one-way traffic down.

Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on March 31, 2015.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!