Top Prime Stable boss airs views on Nardo's 2nd loss-A A +A
Thursday, July 31, 2014
REV. Henry Guanzon, chief of Top Prime Stable, aired his thoughts following the defeat of his ward, reigning Philippine Boxing Federation (PBF) super bantamweight champion Jerry “Dangerous” Nardo.
Dangerous’ 19 wins, 5 losses with 10 KOs record was dented after he suffered another setback in his title bid against newly-crowned World Boxing Union (WBU) lightweight champion Brett William Smith (19 wins, a draw and 2 losses with 9 KOs) of Australia over the weekend in the ACE Boxing’s “The Last Stand” held in Queensland, Australia.
Guanzon said over Aksyon Isports of dyEZ Aksyon Radyo-Bacolod that they were robbed again for the second time.
“I really feel bad until now because we really knew that we are in control of that fight. We saw that Smith is slow and could hardly land a clear punch on Nardo,” he said.
He added: “That unfortunate accidental head clash in the seventh round did us as the referee stopped the contest. Following that call, we thought that we will finally secure the win but to our surprise, it turned out to be a technical decision in favor of Smith.”
“The match’s result really hurts. We knew and saw we won that fight. Yet, we also knew that if the fight went further and we don’t knock Smith out, we will still lose,” the Top Prime boss said.
Asked if a rematch is possible, Guanzon said that it would be impossible because it was Smith’s last fight.
“But we have some fight lined up for Nardo maybe this October, before we go for another crack for the world title,” he added.
Nardo also failed to capture the title last year in a controversial unanimous decision loss against another Australian Corey McConnell for the WBU super featherweight belt held in the latter’s hometown in Southport RSL, Queensland.
Nardo lost to McConnell after Australian judges Paul Tapley and Wally Lewis scored 119-109 while Allan Burford had it 120-108. (HGD)
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on July 31, 2014.