Guv downplays people's initiative vs pork barrel-A A +A
Friday, August 29, 2014
NEGROS Occidental Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. downplayed the launching of the “People's Initiative against Pork Barrel” by multi-sectoral groups earlier this week to push for the abolition of the pork barrel and other lump sum releases by the national government.
"Tayog na nga istorya (It is far-fetched),” the governor told reporters Thursday.
He said Congress has already acted on the issue and that the Supreme Court has also ordered to abolish the pork barrel.
“The problem is that no matter what the President does, criticisms would always be there. It's easy to criticize but it’s hard to do it,” Marañon pointed out.
Asked about the support by the Diocese of Bacolod to the campaign by putting up a sign-up center at the entrance of the San Sebastián Cathedral, the governor replied," It's easy to put a table there."
Bayan Muna Rep. Neri Colmenares said they hope to gather six million signatures which they will present in Congress in December this year.
Meanwhile, Marañon believes the impeachment complaints against President Benigno S. Aquino III will not prosper even if it would be sufficient in form and substance.
On Tuesday, the House of Representatives committee on justice voted to declare as sufficient in form the three verified impeachment complaints against the President.
The governor said he believes the petitioners cannot get the substantial numbers in Congress for the impeachment complaint to prosper.
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on August 29, 2014.