Negrense nurse dies of Mers-CoV in KSA

-A A +A

Thursday, May 8, 2014

A NEGRENSE nurse working at the King Fahd Medical City in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia succumbed to Middle East Respiratory Syndrome-Corona Virus (Mers-CoV).

Her husband, whose name is being withheld by Sun.Star Bacolod, said he was informed through a phone call by a hospital director that his wife died at 11:50 a.m. (Saudi time) or 4:50 p.m. (Philippine time, Tuesday).

“I'm sorry to inform you that your wife is gone," the husband said as he quote the telephone call he received from the hospital’s doctor.


The 45-year-old nurse died due to renal failure with very low blood pressure, which was among the symptoms for Mers-CoV. She underwent dialysis a day before she died and a bypass operation earlier.

The husband said that although his wife's death is painful to him and their 13-year-old daughter, they decided not to go to Saudi Arabia anymore to avoid possible contamination of the virus.

He said he already gave authorization to a friend of his wife, also a Filipino nurse at the same hospital, to process all the claims of his wife and the return of her body to Negros.

He said he made a formal request through email as advised by the hospital director after he informed him that he would no longer go to Riyadh.

The husband added the body of his wife will be frozen for two months before it will be brought back to the Philippines.

"I was informed by our friend who is also a nurse that in Riyadh they don't practice cremation or embalming of the dead. I was also informed that Mers-CoV victims are frozen for two months which is the incubation period for the virus to subside. I want my wife to be buried here," the husband said.

He said he last spoke to his wife over the phone in April 30 when she informed him that she had pneumonia and was put in quarantine for Mers-CoV test.

After two days, he was informed that his wife was transferred to the Intensive Care Unit.

“I was even told to prepare my passport so that I would be ready to go there anytime," he added.

He said his wife could have been spared of Mers-CoV if she was able to go home in March, but because the hospital lacks personnel, she was not allowed to go home and her vacation was re-scheduled to last week of June.

"She was very excited to go home to attend to the graduation of our daughter who got an honor," he added.

She last went home in February 2013.

The husband said he was also told that her room at the hospital was disinfected and her personal belongings would be sent home.

His wife got infected of Mers-CoV by a fellow Filipina nurse she took care of in the hospital. The said nurse is already recovering. (TDE)

Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on May 08, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
  • Festivals
  • Obituary
  • Sinulog
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Papal Visit
  • Pacman blog
  • Philippine Polls
  • Calamity Report
  • ePaper
  • goodearth
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Technology
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Pnoy
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Habemus Papam