NegOcc gets P25.3M for Yolanda rehab-A A +A
Wednesday, March 19, 2014
INTERNATIONAL humanitarian organization Concern Worldwide is donating P25.3 million to the Province of Negros Occidental as part of its commitment to help rehabilitate the Yolanda-hit areas in the province.
Philip Miller, country manager for the Philippines, met with Governor Alfredo Maranon Jr. at the Capitol on Tuesday.
Marañon said he will submit to the Provincial Board on Wednesday the memorandum of agreement authorizing him to receive the donation in behalf of the Provincial Government.
Upon approval, the organization will send the money, the governor said.
Days after Typhoon Yolanda struck the Visayas in November last year, a team from Ireland-based organization, which works with the poorest people in 24 countries, arrived in Negros Occidental.
Marañon then welcomed the group of Ros O'Sullivan, emergency response coordinator of Concern Worldwide, to the province where they joined an ocular inspection of the devastation in northern Negros, particularly in the cities of Cadiz and Sagay, and the town of Manapla.
Last week, officials of Tearfund, a Christian organization registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission in the Philippines, started the construction of 200 new houses for Cadiz City residents. The group also repaired 200 houses, and provided livelihood assistance to 400 families. (PNA)
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on March 19, 2014.