Mayor’s son linked to cop’s slay-A A +A
Saturday, January 11, 2014
A SON of La Castellana town mayor Alberto Nicor has been linked to the suspects in the murder of policeman Rex de los Reyes last Sunday in Hinigaran, Negros Occidental.
Police officials in the province, however, have conflicting statements on the alleged involvement of White Nicor in the crime.
Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. has directed the Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office (Noppo) to conduct further investigation.
Senior Superintendent Milko Lirazan, provincial police director, said Friday that if there will be evidence later that would link White Nicor to the case, he will be investigated.
Lirazan confirmed receiving information that the five suspects were seen with White in a cock derby in La Castellana the night before De los Reyes was killed.
Suspects Michael Jancilan, Roger Garilba, Vicente Poleros, Eduardo Montano and Openiano Dolar were intercepted by operatives of Pontevedra Police Station in Barangay Camandag, La Castellana while they were fleeing from Hinigaran.
The suspects are now detained at the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) in Binalbagan town after complaints for murder and illegal possession of firearms and ammunition were filed against them before the Provincial Prosecutor’s Office Monday.
In Barangay Camandag, Mayor Nicor came while the suspects were being arrested, but he had earlier denied reports that he intervened in behalf of the suspects.
Lirazan said the Nicors justified their presence in Camandag, saying it is a given because the arrest happened in their home town.
“We are digging deeper into the case,” Lirazan said.
Chief Inspector Lino Dalisay, Hinigaran police chief, on the other hand, cleared the mayor's son of involvement, saying there is no evidence linking him to the suspects.
The reports that came out connecting Nicor to the suspects are just based on rumors and are without evidence, Dalisay said.
He added that he also considers the case closed after the arrest of all five suspects and the filing of cases against them.
"There were only five suspects and not six as reported. The five suspects were all arrested on board a van and it's not true that there is a sixth suspect who was able to escape," Dalisay said.
He said that even the creation of a task force is no longer needed because of the arrest of the suspects.
Both Lirazan and Dalisay said the police have not established yet the real motive for the murder of De los Reyes.
In Iloilo, Chief Superintendent Josephus Angan, police regional director, said in a radio interview that the slain police officer has been dropped from the roster of the Philippine National Police in December 2012 based on the directive issued by the national headquarters.
De los Reyes was arrested in Libertad, Antique in 2009 for possession of high-powered firearms and was charged for gun running but the case against him did not prosper.
He was reinstated to the police service for reassignment in Mindanao but he declined and decided to go on AWOL (absent without leave) until he was killed on Sunday afternoon.
Jancilan has been wanted by the Iloilo Police Provincial Office for shooting to death Police Officer 1 Rizaldy Henarios of Sta. Barbara, Iloilo and his friend Freddie Animas in June last year.
Published in the Sun.Star Bacolod newspaper on January 11, 2014.